About the Master Class Intensive (CBSI MCI)
ACTING TRAINING, as sensational as it is, can only go as far and deep as each individuals ability and capacity allows them to go. The CBSI MCI is a specialty class dedicated to the actor who has arrived at that stage in their development where they embody a strong foundational process for the craft, possess great work-with-ability, and are able to allow for complete emotional vulnerability and availability.
In the CBSI MCI, actors train with top SCREENPLAYS & TELEPLAYS written by some of the best FILM & TV writers of all time! Classics as well as Contemporary.
Each intensive consists of 8 TOTAL CLASSES taken ONCE A WEEK on Thursdays over the course of 2 MONTHS. (There are some 1 month exceptions.)
Spaces are limited to max. 10 -12 WORKING ACTORS (five or six partners working on 5 or 6 separate scenes). Our limited class size means in addition to the group empowerment instruction, each scene has 30-45 minutes of one-on-one attention from the coach. On top of your training in the studio… your scene work will be RECORDED and immediately made available to you for continued, objective study!
All CBSI-MCI classes are held on Thursdays from 12:00 – 4:30
1st Summer Session 2019:
May 9th – June 27 (8 weeks) **Enrollment Open**
2nd Summer Session 2019:
July 11th – August 29th (8 weeks) **Receiving Submissions**
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS:
Each student will be assigned a partner, and together they will work on a meaty and somewhat weighty scene from a carefully selected, critically-acclaimed screenplay (film) or teleplay (TV). In studio training and outside rehearsals will run for 4-weeks.
After the first 4-weeks, partners will either continue their character development with a different scene from the same film or TV show or will be assigned a scene from a different movie (or show) with similar characters.)
Throughout the 8-week class, you will:
- Develop a rich and complex cast-able character for your type
- Have an established process for creating additional compelling characters on your own for future work
- Gain a more accurate and in-depth understanding of script analysis
- Learn the Art, Craft, and Technicalities expected of a leading actor
NOTE: *This is not a basic skills class* You must have a strong understanding and workability of the craft of acting to qualify!
For training on cold reading, audition technique, memorization, improv, business management, or life empowerment you can apply to any of our regularly scheduled CBSI classes HERE.
This Master Intensive is focused solely on the principles of ADVANCED SCRIPT ANALYSIS & IN-DEPTH CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. Actors submitting are expected to rehearse with their scene partner no less than twice a week, (90 min max per rehearsal) prior to each work-session. Scenes are then put up on stage with light set and prop pieces. All work is done in full wardrobe w/ needed props. Following the first week of work, actors must be in appropriate character wardrobe when on stage and in front of the cameras.
How to Apply
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the intensive you are requesting (Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring) and whether you will be “working” or “auditing“. (DO NOT SEND AN EMAIL WITHOUT THIS INFO – we cannot hold a space without knowing which season you wish to join).
- You’ll receive a reply noting that your email has been received. This confirmation reply does not constitute acceptance.
- If you do not receive a confirmation reply within 24 hours please send a follow-up email. If email is sent on a Friday evening you can expect a reply by Monday morning.
- If you are accepted into any one of our intensives, you will receive an acceptance letter. You’ll next be asked to make a $100 non-refundable deposit due within 48 hours to hold your place.
- Once accepted you’ll be assigned:
- A scene
- Your character,
- And your partner.
If you already have a scene partner you would like to work with, please let us know when you’re signing up. We’ll do our best to accommodate you.
For all students who are applying – Please EMAIL the following:
- Your Headshot, Resume, and link to a Website or Reel.
- Include your phone number. (No Drop Offs Please, Email Only)
A make-up cannot be issued on a Thursday during the 8-week intensive. If you need to make up a class you can do so during one of our other CBSI classes. (go to: claybanksstudio.com for class schedule)
Once an intensive has begun, no refunds or credits will be issued. If you need to cancel prior to the start of an intensive, please notify Lauren via email 72 hours prior to the beginning of the intensive season. Refunds will only be given to those who have given the 72-hour written notice. No refunds or credits will be issued for requests made after that time. Refunds will be issued in the same form of payment as was made.
Need More Info?
- $675 for eight weeks (may be broken up in two payments)
- $650 if paid upfront (save $25)
- $50 a class
- $175 for a month
- $325 for two months
(Auditing is limited to scene observation only)
SPACE IS LIMITED to 10 working actors per session.
“Coach Banks insights on the work done in his Master Class Intensive have propelled me to hugely increased sensitivity to the craft of acting. I’m also booking like crazy!”
~ Gloria Liano
American Horror Story — Modern Family — The Last Ship — Jane the Virgin
“The Master Class Intensive is a total game-changing experience. I thought the other classes at CBSI were already incredibly comprehensive and challenging and then came this Master Class. Coach Banks is working at a more intense and challenging level. I absolutely LOVE being pushed and stretched beyond my limits.”
~ Eric Seiver
Actor in Development
“The depth and attention to detail in the Master Class Intensive makes for deeply honest work. Studying under this process really keeps me on my game between auditions and being on set.”
~ Zack Radvansky
American Woman — Training Day — Criminal Minds
Things to Know…
- All correspondence about this intensive are conducted via email. email@example.com
- NO PHONE CALLS please unless it is a true emergency.
- Please include your phone number in all correspondence.
- Payment information is sent via email with your acceptance letter.
- This class will fill up very quickly. If interested in securing a seat, send application email now!
- For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- NOTE: If the session you are applying for is already filled, you will be placed on our waiting list for the following session. Or, in the case of any cancelations, you’ll be a first consideration!
What to Expect…
- Each scene will be chosen and assigned by Coach Banks prior to the first week of your class. (Note: DO NOT edit material without consulting with Coach Banks.)
- You may submit material of your own choosing, however, it must be approved by Coach Banks.
- You may sign up with a requested scene partner or you will be assigned one.
- Scene Partners are expected to be fully rehearsed and off book no later than the second week of class.
- You are required to read the full screen/teleplay of the movie/show your scene comes from prior to the first class day in order to understand the scene and the characters within the context of the whole story.
- Be prepared to work in full character wardrobe (not required first ‘table-read’ class day.)
- Appropriate dialect for the text (if applicable)
- Basic furniture will be available in the studio
- You must provide any specific props and furniture needed for your scene. Some items may be kept in the studio prop area.
- It’s mandatory that you schedule no less than 1 and no more than 2 rehearsals a week with your scene partner (90-minute rehearsals) – HONOR your scene partner – HONOR the schedule!
- Research appropriate to your scene should be done prior to your first class (if applicable) or by your second week.
- There will be a 5-minute break between each scene.
- Doors will be locked when each scene begins and reopened at scene conclusion.
- Show up on time
- Commitment to observe and learn
- No electronic note taking (pen & pad)
- Show respect for all working actors and their scenes
- No walking in and out while a scene is in progress or while coaching notes are given
- Doors will be locked when each scene begins and reopened at scene conclusion.
PRODUCTION NOTICE: At the conclusion of your final week, CBSI will have special rates and packages available for you to have your scene professionally produced. *Meaning… it will look as if it came from an actual film or television show, and ready to be added to your show real!’